3.1.1 Install the required dependencies
OpenSource software is required to be installed on your local machine in order to run OpenCRVS. Ensure you have satisfied all of the following requirements before continuing:
- Admin rights: You must have admin rights over your computer and a sudo password
- Disk space and RAM: A minimum of 20GB of hard drive space must be available and at least 8GB - 16GB of RAM. At least 2CPU Cores and 16GB RAM ensure the best experience avoiding any start up errors with ElasticSearch. If you are using virtualisation, ensure this is dedicated to the environment.
- Docker: On Ubuntu, install Docker & Docker Compose. On Mac, install Docker for Mac. On Mac, in Docker for Mac preferences, assign 4 CPUs, at least 8GB Memory or more, Swap 4GB and 4 CPUs if your system allows. Elastic search needs a lot of memory to run. On Ubuntu we set enough RAM automatically. OpenCRVS has been tested on Docker version 20.10.11 and docker-compose version 1.29.2
- NodeJS: Install Node using the Node Version Manager. This tutorial: https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/how-to-install-use-node-version-manager-nvm/ is quite good compared to the official documentation which is a little hard to follow. Node versions v.14.17.0, v.14.17.6, v14.18.0 or v14.18.1 are required. OpenCRVS has not been tested on newer versions of Node and you may experience issues if you are using an untested Node version.
- tmux: Install tmux. Multiple terminal windows are required to run OpenCRVS Core alongside the default country configuration. On Ubuntu run:
sudo apt-get install tmuxto install. On Mac, you can install tmux using Homebrew or MacPorts.